DVA: where to get help


Domestic Violence and Abuse (DVA) is not uncommon. According to the independent charity Fact Checker, 26% of women aged 16-59 report having experienced some kind of domestic abuse as adults. 15% of men report the same.

But there is help. The following lists just some of the organisations that can provide help and support.

DVA services in Devon

Splitz – Devon Domestic Abuse Support Service — enquiries and referrals.
Tel: 0345 155 1074 (Monday to Friday, 9.30am — 4.30pm) cover Devon.

Stop Abuse For Everyone — SAFE
Tel: 03030 300112 (Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm) Cover Exeter, East Devon and Mid Devon

North Devon Against Domestic Abuse — NDADA. Also has offers refuge service.
Tel: 01271 321946 (Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm) Cover North Devon and Torridge

Plymouth Domestic Abuse Service (PDAS) Sanctuary Supported Living. Also refuge service.
Tel: 01752 252033 Cover Plymouth (Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm)

Torbay Domestic Abuse Service (TDAS) Sanctuary Supported Living. Also refuge service.
Tel: 0800 9161474 Cover Torbay (Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm)

Devon Rape Crisis Service
Tel: 0808 802 9999 Helpline (Mon — Sun, 12pm — 2.30 pm & 7pm — 9.30 pm)
Tel: 01392 204174 Office Mon 3pm -6pm, Wed 10am — 1pm, Fri 6pm — 9pm
Email: support@devonrapecrisis.org.uk

Devon Rape and Sexual Abuse
Tel: 0808 800 0188 Helpline Tue, Wed, Thu 7pm — 10 pm

Devon County Council DA website Information on Devon’s Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence support for professionals and victims of domestic abuse and sexual violence and info on campaigns

Torbay council -Are You OK? Information on Torbay’s Domestic Abuse and Sexual Violence support, for professionals and victims of domestic abuse and sexual violence and info on campaigns

Devon SARC (Sexual Abuse Referral Centre)
Tel: 0300 3034626

Victim Care — directory for victims of crime (all crimes including domestic abuse) — no need to report to the police, has a search function to help find support depending on need.
Tel: 0300 303 0554 if you do not want to report an incident (crime) to the police, but want support. Or call 101 to report the crime and get support from the victim care unit.

Intercom Trust LGBT community resource covering the South West.
Tel: 0800 612 3010 helpline

Norda House Project – Norda Project is a confidential male refuge and outreach domestic abuse service
Tel: 01872 321546/01872 321575

Legal services

The Personal Support Unit Help people facing court alone, emergency injunctions.
Tel: 01392 415 335 9.30 -4.30pm.

National Centre for Domestic Violence Help in obtaining emergency injunctions.
Tel: 0800 970 2070

Domestic Violence Assist free confidential help obtaining injunctions
Tel: 0800 195 8699

Migrant Legal Project Plymouth delivers publicly-funded and not-for-profit legal advice.
Tel: 01752 547 134

National DV Services

National Women’s Aid — 24 hour
Tel: 0808 2000 247 (helpline)

Wommens Aid Survivor’s Handbook In depth advice about finances, housing etc. with translations in different languages; Survivors Forum: Share your thoughts and feelings with other survivors

SafeLives: ending domestic abuse Risk assessments in different languages, lots of information for training, resources, reports, etc

Respect – Respect is the UK membership association for domestic violence perpetrator programmes and associated support services. Their aim is to end violence and abuse in intimate partner and close family relationships. They also have a helpline for perpetrators of domestic abuse.
Tel: 0808 802 4040 – Are you hurting the one you love?
Tel: 0808 801 0327 – Is someone hurting you?

Men’s Advice Line — a national helpline for male victims of domestic abuse, also have a very useful website — www.mensadviceline.org.uk

The Hideout – The Hideout: a website for children and young people produced by Women’s Aid. DV support for children and young people

Rights of Women – Rights of Women is a women’s voluntary organisation committed to informing, educating and empowering women concerning their legal rights. There are very useful resources and information on this website

Karma Nirvarna supporting victims of honour based abuse and forced marriage.
Tel: 0800 5999 247 Mon —Fri 9am — 5pm

Forced Marriage
Tel: 020 7008 0151 helpline

National FGM centre
Tel: 0800 028 3550 helpline
www.nationalfgmcentre.org.uk NSPCC FGM

Unbuntu Counselling Services Specialist multicultural counselling service.
Tel: 01392 201572 / 07528 241400

Other Organisations

Community Safety Partnerships (CPS) are made up of several so call “Responsible Authorities” including; the police, probation services, local authorities, fire and rescue authorities, health as well as charities and other organisations. Their aim is to work together to protect their local communities from crime and to help people feel safe. They are statutory bodies brought into being by the Crime and Disorder Act 1998.

Refuge for Pets Tel: 07497382457 Email: mary@refuge4pets.org.uk www.refuge4pets.org.uk

About the author


Animal loving, environment protecting, letter writing, nuisance who is getting ever more political as I become increasingly 'senior'. The reason, I hope, is not the little grey cells going dendrites-up, but the accumulated knowledge of many years of trying to make sense of what is happening, and a realisation that the world is rapidly approaching a cross-roads. Some might say it was ever thus, but I think the combination of the madness of Trump politics, Brexit, Pollution, Climate Change and many other factors has created an extremely toxic mix that is way beyond what the world has yet had to face. I am not a pessimist. I do believe we can send these forces packing and win back our planet from the selfish, the ideologues and the false clamoring of puffed up egos.

Add comment

By John

Recent Posts


Recent Comments